Elena Parent is running to be your State Senator to continue her work on the pressing issues facing our community today – helping rebuild our economy for working families, increasing educational opportunities, fighting for crucial investments in transportation, and standing up for a government that works for Georgians, not deep-pocketed special interests.
As a former Democratic State Representative, Elena has a proven record of accomplishment on these issues and was known for being one of the most effective progressive leaders at the State Capitol.
After being targeted by Republicans during the once-a-decade redistricting, Elena continued her public service as the Executive Director of Georgia Watch, the state’s leading consumer rights non-profit. Elena's mission at Georgia Watch is to be a voice for Georgians on the important health care, utility, personal finance and civil justice issues affecting our pocketbooks and quality of life each day.
Elena traces her core beliefs – the importance of family, making the community a better place for all and advocating for and providing help to people who are less fortunate – to her upbringing in the shadow of the U.S. Capitol where her parents stressed the importance of faith and public service.
Recently, Elena was listed in the Atlanta Business Chronicle’s “Who's Who Sustainability” feature for her leadership on energy and environmental policy issues. In 2011, Elena was the recipient of two prestigious awards in recognition of her legislative accomplishments: the Fulton County Daily Report’s “On the Rise” and the Atlanta Business Chronicle’s “40 Under 40.” She is a member of the Leadership Atlanta class of 2013.
Elena was presented the 2011 and 2012 Environmental Leadership Award from Georgia Conservation Voters, a non-partisan organization dedicated to preserving and enhancing the quality of life of all Georgians by making conservation issues a top priority with Georgia’s elected officials, political candidates and voters.
Elena is married to Briley Brisendine and they became proud parents with the birth of their son, Brooks, in February 2010. Their second son, Reid, was born in December 2012. They are members of All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Atlanta.
- State Representative serving DeKalb County, elected in 2010 – one of only 12 Democratic officials to unseat an incumbent Republican that year nationwide.
- Chief of Staff to State Senator David Adelman (D-District 42), also former Ambassador to Singapore.
- Director of Development for HOPE Atlanta (Travelers Aid of Metropolitan Atlanta), a not-for-profit dedicated to preventing and ending homelessness.
- Litigator at Sutherland Asbill & Brennan in Atlanta.
- Co-founder and co-chair of women attorneys' affinity group;
- Ambassador for the firm’s annual United Way campaign.
- Member, All Saints’ Episcopal Church
- Volunteer with the Atlanta affiliate of Everybody Wins!, a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting children’s literacy.
- Board of Directors:
- It's the Journey Inc., which produces the 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer and has raised more than $6 million dollars for Atlanta-area breast cancer organizations.
- Georgia Association for Women Lawyers (GAWL) Foundation Board, which oversees community service for GAWL.
- Women and Minorities in the Profession Committee of the State Bar of Georgia
- University of Virginia. Graduated with Highest Distinction and was admitted into Phi Beta Kappa and the Golden Key National Honor Society.
- University of Virginia School of Law. Top 10 percent of her class.